Self-induced hair loss in female
- Self-inflicted hair loss – Hairstyles like tight ponytails, Cornrows or too-tight braids can cause hair loss called traction alopecia.
- Hair dyes, chemical treatments – Hair color is chosen not only by people who wants to cover up grey hair but even by the females who wants to flaunts it as a fashion trend.
- Bad brushes – Brushing too much, removes excessive oil from the scalp. It increases dryness, brittleness of hair.
- Blow dryers, flat irons –Excessive heat to the hair breaks the hydrogen bond of hair. Hair becomes dry, brittle. It gets entangled. Once in a while, it is fine but if it done repeatedly then it goes in irreversible change. Fly away hair is commonly seen after repeated treatment.
Medical reasons for hair loss:
Everyone lose hair.Loosing 50 to 100 strands of hair each day is normal. The day when hair is washed, people can lose up to 250 strands. That does not mean that the person should not wash the hair. Hair has to be washed. But there are certain medical conditions which needs to be addressed on time.
- Hormonal causes – Thyroid problem: this is one of the commonest cause which goes ignored. Excessive hair fall, dryness of hair, breakages are the commonest symptoms.Long term thyroid problem causes thinning of hair. Female pattern thinning – This is one of the hereditary problem. Each time a normal hair falls, it is replaced by new hair which is equal in size. But in female pattern thinning, the new hair is always thinner and finer. This is called as miniaturization of hair.
- Commonest reason is pregnancy – Hormonal changes which happens during and after pregnancy has an impact on hair. During pregnancy, progestogen increases to keep the baby in womb. This hormone gives lovely hair .The problem of hair fall or thinning is seen after 3 months of delivery when this hormone dips again to normal level. Sometimes it is self-correcting but otherwise it needs proper treatment.
- Anaemia – Most ignored cause of hair fall. Long term ignorance causes hair fall. Symptoms sometimes mimic of thinning of hair.
- PCOS – Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is an endocrine disorder. It shows symptoms such as weight gain, fatigue and increased facial hair. But it can also cause excessive hair shedding and hair thinning in those with a genetic predisposition and follicle sensitivity.
- Skin condition such as psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis – This problem can be seen on scalp after stress and exercising vigorously.Other causes of the disease could be substantial climate change.
Other reasons for hair loss include:
1) Extreme stress
2) Physical trauma like surgery or intense illness
3) Weight loss over a short period of time
4) Taking too much Vitamin A for acne