Hair transplantation is a surgical technique that moves individual hair follicles from back of the scalp called the ‘donor site’ to a bald or balding part of the scalp known as the ‘recipient site’. It is primarily used to treat male pattern baldness.
Hair transplantation is a hair restoration procedure performed on men and on women who have significant hair loss, thinning hair, or bald spots where hair no longer grows. In men, hair loss and baldness are most commonly due to genetic factors and hormone DHT. Male pattern baldness, in which the hairline gradually recedes and scalp visibility increases exposing bald areas. Men may also experience a gradual thinning of hair at the crown, or very top of the skull. For women, hair loss is more commonly due to hormonal changes and is more likely to be a thinning of hair from the entire head. Transplants can also be performed to replace hair lost due to burns, injury, or diseases of the scalp.
Advantages of transplant:
- It is one of the hair restoration procedure that involves transplantation of your own hair taken out from back of the scalp. It grows naturally. The color of the hair is same as your original hair. Hair growth normally starts after 2 to 3 months. It completes its recovery within 8 to 10 months.
- Hair transplant technique has advanced significantly. There are different techniques for performing transplant. One method is follicular unit transplant (FUT) in which strip of skin is taken out from back of the scalp, then follicular unit is divided and replantation is done in designated area. Linear scar is always seen on back of the scalp. Good surgeon will always try to minimize the scar from the Donor area.
- Other advanced surgical technique is Follicular unit extraction (FUE).This is a meticulous method in which single hair is extracted and replanted in designated area. The results are permanent and excellent. Small tiny dots are seen on back of the scalp in spite of linear scar which is seen in FUT.
- Hair transplants are completely safe and natural. No special chemicals or medicines are used in this process that might damage your hair. Amongst all the hair growing methods hair transplant surgery is the most natural. The results are so good that majority of the people won’t be able to tell that you got a hair transplant.
- Another benefit of hair transplant surgery is that you get hair that is very manageable. Transplanted hair works just like your naturally grown hair so you don’t need to apply any special shampoos or chemicals to maintain its density.
- If you want a long term and permanent solution for your baldness then consider hair transplant surgery.
Biggest benefit of transplant is person gets back his confidence. There is no hassle in handling the transplanted hair. The person can maintain it as per his wish. He can color it oil it ,wash it and can do hair style also.
- Candidates often report life-transforming results; one’s appearance can look younger and individuals feel positive and open about new social experiences.Hair transplant candidates can resume their normal, active lives quickly.
Disadvantages of transplant:
- It is very important that the candidate who undergoes transplant should have good general health. It is mostly recommended in Androgenic Alopecia which is a progressive, irreversible disorder so it is important that the person should be aware of it. If hair loss is genetic and person undergo a hair transplant at an early age e.g. 20 to 30 yrs., hair loss still continue after surgery which needs treatment.
- It is an invasive procedure performed under local anesthesia. The success of a transplant largely depends on the quality of existing donor area.
- Recovery is not overnight. It takes 8 to 10 months for complete recovery so it is time bound.
Looking at the brighter side, transplant helps to cover up bald area with own hair which does not need any maintenance. It improves self-confidence and appearance of the person.