Body Dysmorphic Disorder: What Does It Mean?
Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is a pseudo-illness characterised by a preoccupation of an imagined bodily defect. Patients initially present concerns about their hair or skin. The psychopathology is the perception that a flaw or imperfection exists. The patient may be convinced that a part of their body or their hair is abnormal and imagine imperfections. Women are affected more commonly than men by body dysmorphic disorder. The age of onset is between 15 and 20 years.
Many such patients often suffer from depression and a social phobia since they think about their perceived flaws every day. They cannot control their negative emotions and thoughts, and it generally leads to dysmorphic disorder meaning emotional distress and interference in their lives.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBD)
It is a type of psychotherapy wherein you are taught to manage negative thoughts and change your course of thinking. Uncontrolled anxiety and symptoms of depression are treated through cognitive behavioral therapy or CBD. Some people may even undergo plastic surgeries, to correct their perceived flaw, which is never satisfying in its results for these individuals.
Now that we know of body dysmorphic disorder meaning, we can begin by approaching its treatment methodically and scientifically for our self or our closed ones, who seem to be showing the initial signs of suffering from body dysmorphic disorder.
Body Dysmorphic Disorder Symptoms
- Such people will be excessively concerned and visibly pre-occupied with their imagined defect in personal appearance. They will react excessively even when there is only a slight physical anomaly.
- People with body dysmorphic disorder will often be under emotional and visible social distress.
- The preoccupied mindset is that people are taking special notice of me, mostly in a negative way.
- Unnecessary engagement in practices to correct the perceived flaw or at least hide it like checking the mirror, spending too much time in grooming, etc.
- Making continuous attempts to cover up the perceived flaws with styling or clothes, for example.
- Such people have a tendency to compare their appearance with others and are mostly seeking a reassurance on it from others.
- A very crucial point here is that such patients may be diagnosed with a different body dysmorphic disorder, mostly led by an excessive dislike towards their body which could include hair, nose, legs, arms, etc. Body dysmorphic order in women is mostly related to hair.
Body Dysmorphic Disorder Test and Diagnosis -
To begin the body dysmorphic disorder test/treatment, a good clinical specialist would be able to identify the signs and symptoms associated with dysmorphic disorder as clinically identified.
Also, an initial body dysmorphic disorder test screening will include the following:
- Mapping the general psychiatric history of the individual.
- Studying the medical history of the individual.
- Assessing the mental status of the individual and also examining his/her suicidal tendency in the recent past.
- A careful cognitive behavioral therapy might be done to assess the CBD symptoms.
- The appointed therapist will also study depressive symptoms.
Body Dysmorphic Disorder Treatment at RichFeel
Our approach to body dysmorphic disorder
More often than not individuals suffering from body dysmorphic disorder suffer because of hair loss, eczema or factors related to premature greying of hair. Such patients are often diagnosed with emotional stress, excessive concern about their appearance, social distress, negative thoughts and related symptoms during the initial stage body dysmorphic disorder test.
We, at RichFeel, further try and comprehend the physiological issue associated with individualised dysmorphic disorder. Mostly, our first attempt is to analyse the reasons for which a patient amplifies their problems creating a mental roadblock. The initial aim is to give proper clinical counselling to help the individual understand that body dysmorphic disorder is deeply associated with their mind playing games. A larger perspective is shared with them.
Body dysmorphic disorder treatment
The primary objective of the doctor is to help an individual rest his/her mind about their appearance and help them go back home feeling positive about their appearance. Body dysmorphic disorder associated with hair and scalp appearance can be perfectly managed and handled. RichFeel has been successfully curing body dysmorphic disorder for many years now.
Specialists at Richfeel work in treating visible hair disorders such as bald patches. Depending on the exact condition of the hair loss pattern, the doctor will recommend a further treatment for restorations & cure.
The doctor will also prescribe amino acids, which are basically protein-aids, and work to control the stress-related body dysmorphic disorder.