The problem of male pattern thinning is medically termed as Androgenetic Alopecia. It is a condition which is directly related to the genetic structure that one possesses since birth and these genes can be inherited from either of the parents.
The problem of this type can start after any age post puberty which generally begins at 12 to 14 years. It is at this age of 12 to 14 years that the male hormone testosterone is excreted in the body. Testosterone is responsible for giving various male characters in one like the beard and the moustache.
Testosterone being a sex hormone is available in the body in two forms that is the free form and the one which is bounded to the protein. This protein could be the Sex Hormone Binding Globulin SHBG or an Albumin. Anyways it is the free flowing testosterone which gets converted into the Dihydro testosterone (DHT) in the presence of the enzyme 5-alpha reductase.
The DHT actually binds to the hair roots in hormone responsive area that is the fronto-vertex region making the hair thinner and shorter and then it eventually dies off from the scalp. The reasons for hair loss which increase the DHT levels in the body which in turn increases the male pattern thinning problem are…
Lets get into the details of each of these factors right away so that we can tackle the MPT problem in the best way.
Reasons For Hair loss 1- Certain acute illnesses like the typhoid, malaria, jaundice, TB generally aggravates the MPT.
Although the MPT problem is very much related to one’s genetic structure any acute illness generally increases the thinning pattern or in some of them it may also start up the thinning problem which was never present before. Such hair problems generally start 3 months after the episode of acute illness so one needs to be really very careful during this phase.
Reasons For Hair loss 2 – Stress which can be physical or mental in its origin would have a direct effect on the MPT.
MPT generally gets worst after any kind of stress which can be physical or mental in its origin. Due to the exposure to stress there is a release of stress hormones in the body and also the conversion of testosterone into DHT increases which in turn causes the MPT problem.
Now that you have got the Reasons of Baldness in men you also need to understand that the causes of Hair Loss in men and women are the same which simply means even for women type Hair Thinning stress and acute illnesses play a great role. Once you understand this it will be easy for you to work out a plan for prevention of androgenetic alopecia and its treatment as well as find out the remedies of Androgenetic Alopecia.
Self-induced hair loss in female – Self-inflicted hair loss – Hairstyles like tight ponytails, Cornrows or too-tight braids can cause hair loss called traction alopecia.
Hair dyes, chemical treatments – Hair color is chosen not only by people who wants to cover up grey hair but even by the females who wants to flaunts it as a fashion trend.
Bad brushes – Brushing too much, removes excessive oil from the scalp. It increases dryness, brittleness of hair.
Blow dryers, flat irons –Excessive heat to the hair breaks the hydrogen bond of hair. Hair becomes dry, brittle. It gets entangled. Once in a while, it is fine but if it done repeatedly then it goes in irreversible change. Fly away hair is commonly seen after repeated treatment.
Medical reasons for hair loss:
Everyone lose hair.Loosing 50 to 100 strands of hair each day is normal. The day when hair is washed, people can lose up to 250 strands. That does not mean that the person should not wash the hair. Hair has to be washed. But there are certain medical conditions which needs to be addressed on time.
Hormonal causes – Thyroid problem: this is one of the commonest cause which goes ignored. Excessive hair fall, dryness of hair, breakages are the commonest symptoms.Long term thyroid problem causes thinning of hair. Female pattern thinning – This is one of the hereditary problem. Each time a normal hair falls, it is replaced by new hair which is equal in size. But in female pattern thinning, the new hair is always thinner and finer. This is called as miniaturization of hair.
Commonest reason is pregnancy – Hormonal changes which happens during and after pregnancy has an impact on hair. During pregnancy, progestogen increases to keep the baby in womb. This hormone gives lovely hair .The problem of hair fall or thinning is seen after 3 months of delivery when this hormone dips again to normal level. Sometimes it is self-correcting but otherwise it needs proper treatment.
Anaemia – Most ignored cause of hair fall. Long term ignorance causes hair fall. Symptoms sometimes mimic of thinning of hair.
PCOS – Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is an endocrine disorder. It shows symptoms such as weight gain, fatigue and increased facial hair. But it can also cause excessive hair shedding and hair thinning in those with a genetic predisposition and follicle sensitivity.
Skin condition such as psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis – This problem can be seen on scalp after stress and exercising vigorously.Other causes of the disease could be substantial climate change.
Other reasons for hair loss include:
1) Extreme stress
2) Physical trauma like surgery or intense illness
3) Weight loss over a short period of time
4) Taking too much Vitamin A for acne
Basically hair fall is such that a person does not even realize that they are losing hair till it becomes the talk of the town or it becomes the most pressing problem.
It is necessary for us to realize hair fall reasons before it gets too late to cure it. Hair falling can be a distressing experience on an individual and can affect your self-confidence too.
1) Smokers – Smoking is one of the main causes of hairloss in men. Research has found out that smokers are at a higher risk of going bald and specially those who have a family history of baldness. Smoking causes some minor clogging effect on the scalp pores and reduces the circulation of blood to the scalp.
Smoking causes untimely baldness in the men before its age. It affects the hair follicles to the extent that the hair which is coming out is of poor quality and progressively it dies off. Smoking also causes premature graying of hair which adds to the damage and overall appearance.
2) Cancer Patients – People who suffer from a deadly disease like cancer are mostly at a higher risk of hair fall. Cancer patients need to go for chemotherapy which means losing a lot of hair. At times there are chances that your armpit, pubic, eye lashes and eyebrows also loses hair. Depending on the dose of your chemotherapy you may experience a mere thinning of hair or a complete baldness.
Once the sessions of chemotherapy starts the hair gradually starts falling after a week or two and will continue till your treatment goes on. You will notice at times the hair falling in clumps. Once the treatment is over your hair will start re-growing in almost a period of three months in most of the cases.
3) Antibiotics – In simple words most of the antibiotics are having a negative effect on the hair follicle. Antibiotics that are used to cure an illness can also become a cause of hairloss. Antibiotic usually reduces hemoglobin and lowers vitamin and mineral stores in the body which makes hair fall out faster than before hence antibiotics are not too good for hair and should be taken only when it is really required as prevention of it is always better.
4) Steroids – Although steroids are one of the choice of treatment for patients suffering from alopecia but for patients who have male pattern baldness are at a higher risk of hairloss if they take steroids for body building as it increases the level of dihydro testosterone in the body which causes hairloss. In the clinical trials it is found out that patient who take steroids have higher levels of DHT circulating in the body and so unless really necessary one should avoid steroids. Also they have to be taken under strict medical supervision only.
Hair Loss treatment with home remedies sounds good for most but it is like gambling. So the safest approach for hair fall is to visit a trichologist as soon as you suffer from it. If you want to know more about hair fall reasons and want to treat the concerns related to hair and scalp then it is worth paying a visit to a trichologists at RichFeel Clinic. RichFeel has its branches all over India in cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore and Pune. Visit your nearest branch right away to treat all your hair and scalp issues in the best manner after knowing the correct hair fall reasons.
RichFeel Clinic in India specializes in HAIR LOSS treatments. It has over 83 branches in major citites like Mumbai, Pune, Delhi, Bangalore etc…