We’ve all dreaded Dandruff at some point in our lives. The all-consuming need to scratch an itchy scalp in a room full of people and the avalanche of white flakes sitting pretty on your black blazer are the two plots we’ve all checked off in our embarrassing moments of life.
Dandruff is the result of the normal growing process of the skin cells of the scalp. Shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp at an excessive rate is the result of the normal growing process of the skin cells of the scalp.
In a normal scalp, the process of sloughing off old cells and manufacturing of their replacements is very orderly and complete. In the dandruff scalp, there is mass disorder and often the departing cells are not dead before leaving the scalp.
Dandruff can cause either an overly dry scalp with itchy white flakes that may be waxy or greasy or dandruff can manifest as an oily greasy scalp with scales.
Dandruff is usually seasonal. Dandruff scales usually occur as small, round, white-to-gray patches on top of the head. Scaling can occur anywhere on the scalp, on the eyebrows, the beard and can spread to the neck and shoulders. Dandruff is often known as “dry scalp”, but people with oily scalps tend to suffer the most. An oily scalp also supports the growth of P. ovale. Since dandruff is a natural process, it cannot be eliminated. It can only be managed and controlled.
Here are some excellent tips to Control Dandruff:
1) Include plenty of B vitamins in your diet. Garlic and oil of oregano are also excellent for fighting dandruff.
2) Alternating hot and cold water on the head increases blood circulation to the scalp thereby controlling dandruff
3) Brush your scalp carefully to loosen scales before shampooing.
4) Use small amounts of baby shampoo if you wash your hair daily.
5) Use your kitchen wisely to help prevent dandruff. Mixture of coconut oil and Lemon Juice maintains the right pH in the scalp and also prevents the yeast infection that may cause dandruff. Mix one tablespoon of lemon juice with coconut oil and apply it to scalp with gentle massage. Keep for about 30 mins and then rinse off with water.
Follow these simple tips and have healthy, dandruff free hair you can flip and flaunt! If you have a serious Dandruff problem, contact a Trichologist immediately.
Dr. Apoorva Shah
Richfeel Health and Beauty Pvt Ltd.