Hair is sensitive part of the body. It is reflection of our health. Any health related issues will first reflect on hair and then on body. Certain kinds of hair related problems are partly under our control and partly it needs treatment. Hair fall, hair thinning, alopecia areata are few of the problems which can be treated but it needs certain changes even in our lifestyles. There are various treatments for hair loss.
Hair fall and nutrition-
Hair is made up of minerals, protein and iron. Dietary deficiencies, eating fast food, fasting or crash dieting, mal absorption can lead to deficiencies which can trigger the hair fall.
Nutrition plays an important role in giving shine, lustre, elasticity, smoothness to hair. Ensure eating proper food
• Proteins – Vegetarians should make sure eating beans, nuts, soya, cheese and dairy products. Non vegetarians get proteins from meat, fish, and egg.
• Minerals – Drinking lots of water give mineral support. Coconut water is excellent source of mineral.
• Iron – Eating green leafy vegetables, dates, figs, raisins provide iron. Spinach is one of the good source of iron.
• Seasonal vegetables and fruits daily helps to boost the energy
• Calorie rich food – Always check for height and weight ratio .Calculate BMI and then eat the food which will give you proper calories for individual day
Health problems –
Conditions like diabetes, thyroid, some infections, and stress can cause serious hair fall. These are some chronic ailments and few are self-induced problems.
It is important to understand the seriousness of it and treat it as and it comes.
• Stress—Stress management by doing certain de-stressing activities like yoga, meditation, listening to soft instrumental music helps to induce relaxation which invariably helps to control the hair fall.
• Chronic illness—Diabetes, thyroidare the chronic disorders whose fluctuation can cause hair fall and sometimes hair thinning. It is important to seek advice from the doctor and keep these illnesses under control. Keeping balanced diet, good exercise, healthy lifestyle keep these disorders under control.
• Infections on scalp —Any infections of scalp like tinea capitis (ringworm) or any other fungal infection needs immediate medical attention. It is an infection which is contagious and can transfer from person to person through sharing comb, sharing towels. This in longer run causes hair fall, hair breakages, scaling on the scalp, redness and inflammation of the scalp.
Good care of hair
• Oil the scalp at least 3/week and wash it the same way.
• Avoid over shampooing if hair are dry.
• Avoid brushing vigorously and frequently. Don’t brush the hair when it is wet.
• Use wide toothed comb for combing hair
• Avoid using styling agents or chemicals on hair.
• Colouring, perming, tinting, straitening are bad for hair. If possible avoid it.
• Avoid traction alopecia by tying hair in tight ponytail, braids.
Self-correcting hair fall
• Post pregnancy —It is likely to get hair fall after 3 months after delivery. It happens because of hormonal changes in the body.
• Acute illness —-Once the illness gets cured, hair fall gradually recovers. But sometimes it needs certain supplements.
Consult Trichologist –
There are certain condition where it is important to consult Trichologist like hair loss after chemotherapy, hair thinning like male pattern thinning /female pattern thinning ,hair fall associated with hormonal fluctuation in body, severe hair fall where hair falls in clumps .
Certain other conditions where in person feels that the hair is getting dry, brittle. Malabsorption , malnutrition also needs support of certain minerals.
Prevention is always better that cure. Why to wait? If you suffer with any hair and scalp related issues then consult Trichologist. Get the problem diagnosed and get it corrected.